- Emitted when an electron moves from certain excited states back down to its ground states, or when an electron that is moving very quickly is suddenly stopped.
- Two groups - long wavelength (soft x-rays) and shorter wavelength (hard x-rays)
- Used for radiography (x-ray photography) and to look at materials in industry for defects.
- Dangers of using on humans: Skin diseases and cancers
- Colours of the rainbow:
- Red (Longest Wavelength, Lowest Frequency)
- Violet (Shortest Wavelength, Highest Frequency)
- Used for communications (fiber optics - transmits light between the two ends of the fiber)
- Dangers: Too much light can damage the retina of your eyes
(Fun Fact:An easy way to remember the colours of the rainbow: Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vein )